The Web Design Process
The importance of the web design process, and the designer's ability to effectively communicate that process to the client cannot be understated. The success of your whole project; from concept, to design, to implementation will be affected by how well this process is planned and ultimately carried out. A streamlined design process achieves two things:
- The most conducive environment for bringing into focus the core of the company brand.
- The shortest possible turnaround time.
Typically, a web design process will go something like this:
- Once a project is funded, a design meeting is scheduled (remotely when necessary) with one or more top-level individuals. With medium-to-large organizations where input is required from a larger group of people, it is recommended that pre-design discussions be carried out independently, prior to the main design meeting with us. This helps to keep it simple. We will help you to refine your results during our meeting.
- A list of predefined topics is discussed at length during the design meeting and a design approach is established.
- Within 2 weeks a design preview is ready for review.
- Note: It is generally not necessary to prototype the functionality of mobile-friendly websites and simple web apps, as page/screen flow is easily mapped out with other tools. But we gladly offer this service to those who feel that the Benefit-Cost Ratio (BCR) is sufficient.
- A client project area is created on my server where design previews, revisions, and updates can be accessed and tracked.
- All previews, revisions, and updates are presented as "pixel-perfect" Photoshop mockups. This allows you to see the design in a browser to get a feel for how it will look as a real web page.
Again, it is not necessary to prototype for mobile devices at this stage. Our designs, even though unique to each project, are by intent crafted for peak content reflow efficiency.
- There is no functionality it this point.
- Some clients invariably choose to seek the input of an in-house (or independent) graphic designer. This is not a problem. We are aware that your brand and its representation on the web is vital to your business, and having the fresh perspective of a talented graphic artist is always a plus. We welcome their input. That said, our process does not generally include working directly with other graphic designers.
- Our design process was honed over an 18-year period of steady client work. We excel at uncovering the heart of our client's core vision for their brand, and from that developing a solid design direction. If however, it is ultimately determined that we somehow missed the mark, we will gladly schedule a second design meeting. At that time we will look closely at previous talking points, and discuss potential paths and options to bring it into alignment with your vision. If this results in a completely new design approach, no worries. We do not charge extra for getting it right. :-)
- The only time limit that exists at this point is the one you yourself set. We are perfectly happy to spend whatever time is necessary to create the perfect design that best represents your brand; however many revisions that may require.
- Once a design is finalized, it is locked. From there we move into development, which can run anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks (WordPress sites are typically 4 to 8 weeks, sometimes longer - depending on your needs.).
- Note: Locked does not necessarily mean that changes cannot be made, only that such changes will halt production, and could incur additional costs.